New eTA requirment for travel to Canada

Travel to Canada now requires all visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly or transit through Canada to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa.  Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

The eTA can be obtained via an online application that takes a few minutes to complete and costs CAD $7.  To find out if you need an eTA and to apply online, please see this link:

See all news